There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
When you need help to get through difficulties, words of encouragement for hard times can inspire you to push through anything you may face. I know there’ve been times when I was alone and afraid… but I found quotes to read that made my troubles seem a bit easier.
I also take solace in knowing I am not alone in these feelings. We all feel detached, sad or angry sometimes… and need something to give us hope. In this post, I’ll provide words of encouragement for hard times to help do just that.
What are Words of Encouragement?
Words of encouragement are words or quotes that can inspire and motivate someone to stay positive and be strong when they’re experiencing hard times. For instance, they can uplift a family member when a loved one dies or a friend when they’re lonely. Similarly, words of encouragement for hard times can lift the spirits of a colleague or acquaintance when he or she is depressed because they didn’t get a work promotion.
I have a family member who’s not treated well by those around him and he has a neurological disorder. When I see that he’s feeling negative, I offer him kind words. After I talk to him for a few minutes, he calms down and I feel like I did a good deed. We can both have peace of mind because I cared enough to protect him and give him the empathy he deserves.
With this in mind, we should all care more about those around us. I feel better about myself for doing the right thing for my family member. And I know you can gain the same positive feelings of meaning and hope for the future by helping others.
65 Words of Encouragement
Words can possess deep meaning and they can matter a lot. You have the power to single handedly improve someone’s day with words of encouragement. If you’re not in a position to speak to them directly, a book of inspiring quotes can serve as a special gift when they need it the most.
These are some of my favorites.
1. When times get dark, find every way to see the light within you.
2. There’s more to life than what there seems on the surface. When you find this, you’ll gain more hope for the future than ever.
3. Your life is worth fighting for when necessary. Never give up.
4. Rather than let the world kick you when you’re down and weak, stand up and do something about it.
5. When those around you need help, don’t give up. Instead, help them get back on their feet too.
6. Every hardship you face only brings you one step closer to being a stronger person.
7. The glass is half empty only because you choose to see it that way. Therefore, make the choice to see it as half full. Doing so can give you the strength you need to persist through almost anything.
8. Turn each of life’s disappointments and struggles into something that benefits you and makes you stronger.
9. When the storm comes, be the soldier that survives the blizzard.
10. Be grateful for those you care about because this can make you bond even more.
11. When life gets too difficult to bear, your inner strength can help you fight your toughest battles.
12. When no one seems to care about you, self-love can make you stronger.
13. Dark times eventually pass, and when they do, you can be grateful for the valuable lessons you’ve learned.
14. The most peaceful actions can be the ones that save you.
15. Commit to toughing out the tough times and afterward, you’ll be more courageous than you ever were.
16. Instead of focusing on whatever’s bothering you, focus on things that bring you joy. This could be nature, friends, or anything you can think of. When you do this, you can gain inner strength and peace of mind.
17. You can’t always rely on others to help you when you need them to. But this is only life’s way of teaching you to become a stronger person.
18. Tell yourself you matter even when you don’t believe it. Doing so can encourage you to be positive and keep your mind from wandering to the darkest place.
19. Make sure to bring the light that shines within you everywhere you go.
20. If a friend is ill, be fiercely brave so you can keep him safe.
21. Your greatest weakness won’t always be physical. This makes it essential to exercise and uplift your spirit when times get tough.
22. Be your genuine self, because no one has the unique strengths you possess.
23. No matter how bad life may seem now, things will always improve as long as you commit to never giving up.
No matter how bad life may seem now, things will always improve as long as you commit to never giving up. “
24. Acknowledging your weaknesses only makes you stronger; because this can help you understand what needs improving.
25. Believe in Santa Claus, unicorns, and the like. After all, keeping your childhood dreams can motivate you to dream bigger and imagine better.
26. You deserve to have a happier day, a healthier year, and an exceptional life.
27. Go ahead and sing your own praises, especially when you’re alone because no one’s going to hear you anyway.
28. All of the troubles you have now will be a thing of the past, so don’t worry about them today. Instead, look forward to a beautiful future.
29. May you always be surrounded by people who love you for who you are.
30. You’re not alone since I’ll always be right here with you, even if just in spirit.
31. What you’re going through now doesn’t define you.
32. Difficult times give you opportunities to examine yourself so you can become a better, happier you.
33. You’re a true warrior and this is the definition of real beauty to me.
34. Believing in yourself can give you the confidence you need to face your fears.
35. Have courage and I’ll be brave with you.
36. Be optimistic and you’ll be more capable than ever.
37. Wipe away your tears. I’m the friend who won’t ever leave your side.
38. My prayers are filled with loving words for you each and every day.
39. I know how special it is to love a friend when I see you smile.
40. You’re a champion of your own existence because you beat all of your challenges.
41. I’m thankful for and committed to our friendship and, for this reason, I’ll be by your side through the best and the worst of times.
I’m thankful for and committed to our friendship and, for this reason, I’ll be by your side through the best and the worst of times. “
42. I have faith in your ability to stay strong through anything.
43. Each problem you face is a stepping stone to the place you want to get to.
44. I’ll shield you from the storm of sorrow with my words of encouragement for hard times.
45. Let my caring words cover your wounds like a comforting blanket.
The best quotes can affect you in the deepest way. Further, you might never forget words of encouragement for hard times that come from famous people you admire. Here’s a list of quotes I put together that resonated with me and I hope they do the same for you.
46. “A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.” – David Brinkley
47. “Rise above the storm and you will find the sunshine.” – Mario Fernandez
48. “Sometimes you don’t realize your own strength until you come face to face with your greatest weakness.” – Susan Gale
49. “In the end, some of your greatest pains become your greatest strengths.” – Drew Barrymore
50. “We must accept finite disappointment, but we must never lose infinite hope.” – Martin Luther King
51. “Tough times never last, but tough people do.” – Robert H. Schuller
52. “The greatest glory in living lies not in never failing, but in rising every time we fail.” – Nelson Mandela
53. “We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey.” – Kenji Miyazawa
54. “Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn’t arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I’m going to be happy.” – Groucho Marx
55. “You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.” – Bob Marley
56. “You were given this life, because you are strong enough to live it.” – Robin Sharma
57. “There are two ways of exerting one’s strength: one is pushing down, the other is pulling up.” – Booker T. Washington
58. “Anyone can hide. Facing up to things, working through them, that’s what makes you strong.” – Sarah Dessen
59. “The kind of beauty I want most is the hard-to-get kind that comes from within: strength, courage and dignity.” – Ruby Dee
The kind of beauty I want most is the hard-to-get kind that comes from within: strength, courage and dignity.” – Ruby Dee
60. “There are better starters than me but I’m a strong finisher.” – Usain Bolt
61. “Big jobs usually go to the men who prove their ability to outgrow small ones.” – Ralph Emerson
62. “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” – Ernest Hemingway
63. “Count your age by friends, not years. Count your life by smiles, not tears.” – John Lennon
64. “A true hero isn’t measured by the size of his strength, but by the strength of his heart.” – Hercules
65. “The art of living lies less in eliminating our troubles than in growing with them. “ – Bernard Baruch
Final Thoughts on Words of Encouragement for Hard Times
Words of encouragement for hard times can make you feel less alone and gain the strength you need to face anything… they can also help others face their trials and tribulations. In fact, there are words of encouragement for almost any situation – as long as you know where to look.
Personally, when I read meaningful quotes or phrases, I know there are people out there who experience similar hardships to me. I feel connected. You can too. If this post inspired you, you might want to read another one we have for you about inspirational coloring pages.